Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Sounds of Music

Winding our way down the mountain at 2:45 pm, we descended from Asheville, our spirits light, our hearts warmed, our ears ready for music. And so proceeded a succession of Nichole Nordeman, Ricky Scaggs and James Taylor. You must have good music on a road trip. It is the first rule of happiness.

Don't miss this...
Today was incredible. I was a touch anxious when I got up...perhaps thinking of my last day of therapy and also reentering the real world in Grand Rapids. But arise we did, packing, cleaning our room, breakfasting and bidding farewell to some newly-acquired but dear friends.

Last night Betty (previously mentioned) called me from the front desk at 9 pm, with a request to be taken to the hospital. Her husband, who is recovering nicely from a stroke after near death had fallen from the bed, and she was obviously concerned. I ran down to the front desk and hugged her. In her lilting southern way she said it was a comfort just to talk to me, but I sensed her fear. I laid my hand on her shoulder and prayed to the God we both cling to. Her Ben turned out to be just fine, and he moved to a care facility much closer to their home today. God answered our prayers.

The other events of the day seemed surreal in a way. I feel like I lived in Asheville for a full month (though it was just two weeks) and so it was a touch painful to depart. It is a place where it's easy to find healthy, nourishing food, every type of person is accepted and welcomed, the atmosphere is charged with bright sunshine and bright smiles.

And so...
I have decided that when I marry I will honeymoon here. It became a running joke. If Julie and I were unable to make it to a particular restaurant or attraction, I declared I would take a visit on my honeymoon. The honeymoon got longer by the day as the list of attractions mounted!

Chimney Rock Park (an elevator is actually in the inside of this very tall rock)
Mount Mitchell
Grove Park Inn (a resort and spa for celebrities and the rest of us that is simply enchanting)
Biltmore Mansion & Village (didn't make it yet, saved it for the honeymoon)
lots of really cute b&b's

Treatments 9 & 10

Very good, and I seemed detoxified, as my lymph nodes were not sore. My leg is definitely more comfortable and my ankle more defined. I would love to see more scar tissue break up, and Peter reminds me that I need to take care of myself. I will continue to take supplements and exercise and wear stockings and the Reid Sleeve and do dry brushing...I have some good habits to follow.

It was tough to say goodbye to my wonderful therapist, Peter, today.

I bought him a carved wooden walking stick with a compass on top as a token of thanks. I had no idea that he actually collects walking sticks and was touched at my gesture.

We had a good talk during the therapy, and he told me of how God specifically protected him 3 times while he served as a marine in Vietnam. So, yes, he believes in God. And I asked him if he thinks God was pursuing him, and he said God was guiding him. And I told him I think God is still pursuing him today and that he wants a kind of relationship with him. But I didn't preach. I just wanted him to know that not only do I care about him, a heavenly Father cares about him more. And Peter said he thinks the reason God spared him in very miraculous ways is so that he could help some many lymphedema patients walk and help some of them to be cured. And I agree that is one of the beautiful reasons Jesus spoke to him, telling him how to avoid gunfire that whizzed by him at lightning speed.

Peter seemed quite sad when we left, and later I wondered at what kind of impact our friendship might have in his heart, and Julie and I prayed that he would find the abundant life that comes from meeting and making friends with the Creator of the universe. That would be the happiest of endings to this wonderful story.

In celebration...
Julie and I stopped in right after therapy at the Sweet Heaven ice cream shop...all homeade and many organic ice creams. We are happy to report it is the absolute best ice cream we have ever, ever tasted. Perhaps because I have not imbibed in sugar much at all for over a month...but still...we even put on the sweet dreams silly tattoos and laughed ourselves silly. We recommend mocha chip and mountain java flavors if you are ever in the area.

Time for bed. We're at a hotel in Lexington and will be home tomorrow. Hard to believe.

No comments: