Monday, September 05, 2005

Guys, I made it...and Asheville rocks! Pulled in to the beautiful wellness center where I'm staying around 5:30 pm Sunday and was welcomed with big smiles and lots of well wishes...even a beautiful peach rose on my dresser! Two of the walls in my room are filled with big windows and I am surrounded by woods, crickets chirping and bright North Carolina sunshine. I even have my own patio porch off my room with two huge wooden rockers. Yes, life is good.

There are 70 volunteers who work here throughout the week at this center, providing a place to stay free of charge, mostly for those whose loved ones are in Asheville hospitals. I have already heard a few sad stories, but the comfort this beautiful Victorian home offers seems to soothe away some of the pain.

Treatment 1
...happened this morning and went swimmingly. My therapist, Peter, is well-known for his work in helping lymphedema patients with holistic remedies. It appears the horsechestnut he recommended (which I've been taking for 2 months and applying topically for a full year) is already having a good effect.

For right now, we are going to go with 1 1/2 hour of lymphatic drainage massage daily. Peter says my case is mild and should respond well to this. He is very upbeat--and he and I share the same philosophy on going the natural route for health issues whenever possible, which is so refreshing.

As he started the massage, I could feel lymph fluid moving, which is a very strange sensation. Strange, but wonderful. Peter has been doing this for 12 years, and before and after pictures are on his wall, showcasing the arms and legs of many of his former patients. In some, the swelling was very extreme--even some cases of elephantisis--and it was hard for me to look at them at all. Let's just say I am fortunate indeed. The encouraging thing was to see what a difference he has made in the lives of so many people who struggle with this condition. Already today, in just an hour and a half, Peter said my ankle and foot looked smaller.

I asked Peter so many questions today, because as you all know, I am just plain inquisitive. I asked him what percentage of lymphedema patients he believes have struggled with depression. At first he said at least 60-70%, then he changed his mind. Of all of the patients he has treated over the years, he believes that all of them have struggled with depression symptoms in the past or present.

The psychological and emotional struggle is real when you have an arm or leg that looks different than the rest of the population. You draw inward from fear or anger, or you decide to start making choices that will keep you at the best level you can be.

How thankful I am to have developed daily exercise habits, learning how to eat right and take supplements, and get therapy that can help. And how thankful I am for all of you who have called or e-mailed to say you are praying.

My biggest prayer right now is for sleep (after not getting much last night). My leg is now wrapped in layers of foam and tight bandages, so tonight could be a bigger challenge. You should see me hobbling around...I am so tempted to say that I was whitewater rafting, when our raft flew over a gigantic cliff and I came crashing down...the truth, of course, is a much longer story!

Bye for now, and talk to you after treatment 2. Smiles!

No comments: