Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Betty, who looked to be about 80, wandered over to the pepsi dispenser and selected a bottled water. I found this interesting, because I'm not sure I have ever witnessed an 80-year-old drinking bottled water. Of course, I find lots of things interesting...

Sitting down at one of the tables in the wellness center, she unwrapped her sandwich and took a nibble. I observed her from one table over. Brilliant white hair, a kind look in her face, large bags under her tired eyes.

I asked some sort of general question and she answered. Since I was also eating alone, I told her I'd love to join her. She urged me to come on over.

In the next 30-40 minutes, parts of our stories spilled out. She said I was very brave for coming to Asheville alone, and I told her I really wasn't brave at all. I told her how many friends were praying for me, and that their words and encouragement had calmed my spirit. I told her I had to depend on God for the strength I needed and couldn't do it alone. I told her these things because somehow I sensed she would understand--that she and God were also on speaking terms and that some of her inner strength came from her faith.

Betty is staying here because of her husband Ben had a stroke. One night he came in from outside and declared that he was going to take a shower before studying his Sunday School lesson. He never made it to the Sunday School lesson.

Ben almost died, and the doctors said he probably would, but he defied the odds and is going through grueling physical therapy in his recovery. Betty sits with him daily and she says simply "we were meant for each other." I suppose we would call them soulmates.

Recently, her dear Ben looked her in the eyes and said, "You know, I still might not make it. We can't be sure. But I thank God we have had 58 good years together, and I am ready to go. You are ready for me to go, too."

Betty's eyes brim with tears as she recounts the conversation. She prays that God will save her Ben, but she trusts that no matter what he will give the strength that's needed to carry on.

In return, I say simply, "There's a man who knows who he is and knows where he is going." Betty nods with a wistful smile. As I turn to leave, I shake her hand. She says it was good to talk with me and she hopes I have a good evening. Then she adds, "I love you."

I smile awkwardly and tell her to take care. Walking away, I wish Betty was my grandmother, and I wish even more that I could find the kind of committed love she found with Ben. And as much as one stranger can mean the words when uttered to another stranger, I believe that she does love me. Betty, in her sweet, hopeful way, was Jesus with skin on to me.

**********************************************************************
Treatment 2

Hit the YMCA for a 20-minute water workout today before therapy. I've become very sensitive to my body's signals, and I noticed in the water that lymph fluid was trying to push its way through the nodes in the top of my leg. (We have about 50-60 nodes in that area.)

Peter, the therapist, did a good job of opening up the flow and we noticed some small improvements when he measured. After the massage, he sprayed my leg with hydrogen peroxide and I watched some of it foam slightly. He explained that the massage brings toxins to the surface, the peroxide washes them away before bandaging. Another application of castor oil and the bandages are back on, though only to the knee. I feel so much more mobile now!

I told Peter I'd do whatever he thinks will help, since he's the expert. So I'm doing deep breathing, which stimulates the lymph to move, and I bought mung beans for the first time ever. :) The super-cool, huge health food store, Earth Fare, has mung beans (good for circulation) and every other cool thing under the planet. (Lonnie, if you're reading this, I bought dark chocolate there and am rationing it daily. It is fabulous!)

Thanks to all again for the prayers. If you want to be specific, pray for the fibrosis (scar tissue) in the ankle region to disburse. Peter says pushing lymph fluid around joint areas is the hardest. But we've got eight days to go and I am feeling great.

Don't hesitate to make a post to the blog....I love hearing from you! More tomorrow.

1 comment:

Cal said...

I'm so glad it's going well for you, dearheart! We are continuing to remember you and lift you up. ANd, yes - you are brave. :-D I'm content to just wear my Jobst stockings... and not have to face things like mung beans and horsechesnut. :-)