Monday, November 17, 2008

A Most Magical Evening

Sunday night almost always finds the husband and I home. Eventually, he will find his way to the navy blue leather couch and lie down. Snoring ensues in about 2.7 minutes. (Here's the part where I'd love to describe it as "a gentle, whiffling snore," but...) I haven't timed how long it takes for the snoring to start, but let's just say it's a pretty accurate guesstimate.

So last night he was laying there in his thick cotton navy blue robe, matching the couch, no less. And his legs were sticking out the bottom, all hairy and cute. The homemade granola was cooling on the top of the oven, and a healthy vegan apple crumbcake was on the counter. I had already consumed one piece, fresh from the oven.

No doubt about it, I was in an expansive, even joyful, mood.

After spending some lovely days with friends and family in Michigan, I was HOME. And it feels like home. I have days when I get restless, and I wonder what direction God is steering me in sometimes, but I'll admit, there's no place I'd rather be than our home. With my HUSBAND. It feels like a luxury I have been waiting for my whole life. Wait just a sec, I guess I sort-of have been waiting that long!

But what made the night especially magical was that I had talked the husband into taking a walk in the dark. I'd guesstimate the walk was almost two miles, me bundled in a thick padded coat with a hat, scarf and warm gloves...the husband in a lightweight jacket. He still had his hat and gloves, though, which was providential.

Because as we rounded a bend on the trail, white fluffy stuff came floating down. Yes, snow has arrived.  And it even began to accumulate on his black hat. Which made me smile and stick my tongue out to catch a flake. And I almost started skipping, I think.

It felt like Christmas and my birthday and a hug by a loved one all rolled into one. I felt hope and promise in the air. And my love was by my side, his breath visible in the night air, his hand holding mine through our gloved fingers.

And then we tripped and fell on our faces. Kidding! Just trying to lighten the sappiness, friends.

We headed toward our little gray house on our quiet little street, and we bustled in, discarding our coats and things, our noses red and our hearts warm. But the best part of this magical evening was the ending. And I am not about to get all romantic on you. Puh-leease. This is even better.

The husband and I sat side by side and we prayed. Up till now, we haven't done this that often, but we've recently been reminded of how important it is to keep our marriage grounded, to keep us sticking together through thick and thin. We prayed for married friends who desperately need a miracle in their relationship, we prayed for another friends' daughter who so badly wants to feel her legs again so she can walk. We prayed for our pastors and our neighbors, our families, and finally, we prayed for ourselves.

We thanked God for each other and the change each of us has brought to the other's life. We prayed about our future, about David's job at GM, which seems uncertain in these times. We prayed about the directions God is leading me in, and about whether our family will grow or just remain the two of us.

We talked to God about all of this. And my tears flowed. And then I dried them. And then I kissed my husband on his head before he drifted off into dreamland.

And that is one magical evening, friends. Magical, indeed.

No comments: