Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Confession of the Literary Kind

I have a confession...gulp! I shamelessly, mindlessly, tend to read about 6 books at a time. I do this because I have many needs, people, and the one-book-at-a-time approach simply cannot meet them all.

I need an escape, which for me includes what I personally deem to be literary candy. For me, this means Jan Karon or Philip Gulley, served up chapters at a time, producing many smiles and sighs. Allowing me to put my brain on "coast." If I'm sick or even feeling down I could Real Simple, More, Good Housekeeping, Reader's Digest, etc. all day long. With a cup of tea. It's utter relaxation to me.

I need challenge or encouragement, which I sometimes find myself ravenous for, with my appetite satiated by books like The Lost Women of the Bible by Carolyn Custis James. See if that title doesn't expand your feminine horizons, ladies! Oh, the amazing plans God has for us!

Quite frankly, I need HELP. This is why I read books like Get Rid of Clutter, Organizing Magic, The Firstborn Advantage (book review coming) and Sheet Music (good choice for any of my married friends).

I need to grow spiritually. So sometimes I read a very straightforward (I wouldn't say it's dry exactly) book that outlines the 16 articles of my church's doctrine. I'll be honest--I have to be disciplined to do this, but when I did, I gained knowledge I need.

NOW FOR THE BIG CONFESSION: I have not finished For Whom the Bell Tolls, even though it is on my "blog reading list." It just hasn't totally captured me, so I might do something some of my friends would frown at. I might just...not finish it! Life is too short, people...

Now, confession time for you--what are you reading, and why??

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm reading Hugh Ross's new manuscript, More than a Theory; Galatians (teaching it in Sunday school); Garfield comics; just finished Worth a Thousand Words by Stacy Hawkins Adams (manuscript); and I want to start Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder by Richard Louw; and also The Thirteenth Tale, which a friend got for me a while ago and I still haven't started!

Suzanne Cross-Burden said...

That a'girl! Inquiring minds want to absorb lots and lots of information. And contrary to the Garfield cartoon where he puts the book on his head and calls it "osmosis," we have an inborn need to get around to reading everything about everything!

Cheers,

Suzie