Friday, August 22, 2008

Midwest Living, It's the Thing for Me

...Green Acres, it's the place to be. I've visited New York City (loved it!); Denver many times; Asheville, North Carolina (one of my favorites); Florida and California, Texas and Tennessee. I lived in Greenbelt, Maryland, once for the summer while commuting as an intern into DC. All of these experiences were exciting and noteworthy; I love travel and I love to experience new people, places, food, and culture. And I wouldn't mind living in many of the places I've visited.

But I live in the Midwest.

And let me ask you--where else can you...

* Leave your gas grill on your back patio without worrying about it being stolen.
* Share a common "green space" area with 30-40 neighbors.
* Wave and greet passerbys and bikers on the street without fear of being labeled a stalker.
* Hang your car keys on the wall at the local Y during your workout without fear they'll be taken.
(This one really amazes me!)
* Get virtually anywhere in your city in about 20 minutes.
* Find and buy fresh produce that comes from a field approximately 1 mile from your home.
* Go to a cheap theater where tickets are only $1--and just .50 one day each week!
* Enroll in an adult summer reading program at your library and get prizes for reading.
* Be within a few hundred miles of Amish country.
* Find churches of all sizes where God-fearing people sacrifice to share God's love with others.
* Get your fill of snow in the winter and warm weather in the summer, plus a beautiful autumn!

I'm not saying I don't wish for some of the buzz of the big city--I'm just saying life in middle America can be pretty darned good. Great, in fact.

Today, we leave for a short vacation up in Michigan, where we plan to give canoeing a try. We'll be sure to let you know if fun in the Midwest is all its cracked up to be.

Happy weekend to you...

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hear, hear! And Michigan happens to be one of the best Midwest states to call home. ;)