Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Visiting my second home

Here I am, typing away, in Grand Rapids, and marveling that I am away from my husband of one month, visiting friends and picking up wedding photos.

He is only three hours away, one really expensive gas tank from here, but three hours seems a long distance to be apart from your other half. Especially when you have been married for only one month.

I'm not the type of wife who needs to be by his side every minute (and I never thought I would be), though I enjoy his company immensely. But I relish his nearness, his thoughtfulness, and the way we argue about which of us is "funniest."

I like it when he cooks, and when he cleans up. And I especially like it when he vacuums! Then there's the great sport he is, taking me to SteinMart, and letting me spend money on summer clothes. But the best part was the way he gamely tried to evaluate my clothing purchases--everything looked "really nice," except the neon green shirt, but it is growing on him. :)

And so, here I am, three hours away, redeeming the time, jetting all over town to rendezvous with good friends, sharing wedding pictures, and celebrating the mutual admiration and fondness we will continue to enjoy across the miles.

In summary, God's been so very good to me. I couldn't be richer with relationship, and I know the God who has sustained and guided me this far will help me find new companions for the journey on my new patch of earth. He's famous for providing what I need when I need it. Even though his calendar and his watch differ from mine, he is always right on time.

One man at my new church said it was nice to meet me, but I "was a little late" in marrying David. I couldn't have agreed less. In the grand picture, the weaving that's underbelly may be covered with knots, God's master design is perfect. Turns out, I showed up just in time.

David and I, separate all these years, being shaped, formed, molded, and prepared for the love God has for us to share. As one friend put it when he found his wife in his late 30s, "It's not perfect--but it's good."

No comments: