Monday, March 16, 2009

Giving thanks when thanks is due

I developed an important habit I've gotten away from. It involves the pages of my journal and the regular giving of thanks. Lately, I've been busy enough to let Thanksgiving land at the bottom of the to-do list. But this morning, I hope to remedy the situation. Join me, if you will, as I elaborate on the striking goodness of my Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer:

I'm thankful to my heavenly Father for:

  • the long walk with my eight-year-old niece yesterday; her philosophical musings and what she taught me about looking for the good God brings out of even very bad situations.
  • the recession: it might seem counter-intuitive, but I believe people's hearts are most sensitive to the leadings of God and to seeking him when things are tough in their external world. Plus, we've all been learning that having a job and a nice home are not our rights; these are gifts, and we should treat them as such.
  • my husband, David: I walked this earth for 35 years as a single woman, and I'm grateful for that. My journey made me even more excited to find the love of my life, someone who sacrifices for me and seeks out the best ways to show he cares for me. It is the water bottle he filled up on the counter; it is the way he insists on getting my oil changed; it is his support and excitement about me attending seminary; it is the way we hold hands, facing everything together. It is the way he works at giving me the verbal affirmation I crave, even though it doesn't come naturally to him.
  • dear friends: It has not been easy for me to move away from life as I knew it. Still, I cherish the strong ties I left behind, while being grateful for the new ties forming here. When someone extends kindness or understanding, my spirit soars. I am grateful for several new people in my life who have offered their friendship: Jerry and Doris, including our whole S.S. class; Diann; Pastor Carla; Jayne; the book club; new family members; and the ladies of our Thursday Biblestudy.
  • a healthy year: David and I have made some big changes in our diet and have done well at exercising regularly. Because of this, we have more energy and in general, we feel better than we did before.
  • new opportunity: It's hard for me to believe I applied to seminary last week. God's been leading us, surely, but it just seems so big, yet so wonderful. If God wills, I hope to be sitting in class this fall, soaking up His Word and His Wisdom. Yeah!
  • Thursday Biblestudy: What hasn't God taught me in the last year about his heart for women? I praise God we are made as "ezers," fashioned after Eve. That is, we are strong helpers, warriors, and rescuers, even when we don't realize God's original intentions. But when those intentions are revealed, watch out! I can't wait to see what God does in the lives of the women in our study as a result of us finally learning why he created us in the first place.
  • writing: I don't know what opportunities will arise this year, but I'm thankful to have my new freelance writing site up and running, and I'm waiting on God to bring just the right opportunities. (suzanneburden.com)
  • delight: I am reading in Ecclesiastes right now, and it strikes me that we are called to take joy in eating, drinking, and the work God has given us here on earth. I'm grateful for the ability to delight in God's provisions, and I also love to delight in what he's doing in the lives of those around me.
  • What about you? Are you thankful for anything in particular? Give thanks right now by posting below, and encourage others by your giving of thanks.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I've been trying to do the same thing. In fact I write "gratitude" on my to-do list everyday!

Sometimes I find myself doing the "but, thank You" - for instance my husband travels A LOT and long weeks, but I'm thankful he has a job! I guess it's a step in the right direction, but I probably need to leave off the first part :)

Nancy
http://teachingsundayschool.blogspot.com