Monday, January 12, 2009

My husband has no issues

One day, early on in our marriage, my husband shared with me that he has no "issues." It took me by surprise, because c'mon, everyone has a few issues, right? But I had to admit, of all the people I know, David might be the one with the fewest issues of all.

He's a middle-born, easygoing, likeable, personable, loyal, dependable, hard-working, Jesus-following man. And he really doesn't care what people think about him. Nope. He got over caring what people thought about him while he was single for 42 years.

So I was hard-pressed to even find an area where he's unhealthy at all. Quirky, yes, at times, but aren't we all? Very early on in our relationship, I grew used to the idea that he would give a running commentary on anything he drove by. I knew within a few months, too, that he was a goofball of the highest sort. Always trying to play a joke on someone.

The only thing I could even come up with, really, is his competitive nature. And as a firstborn, I can relate. Except we "compete" for entirely different categories. He would like all of you to know that his cholesterol, after our healthy eating, is down to 133, for instance; his wife's is at 144. I could really care less.

I'm more concerned with beating him at Scrabble on a regular basis. Which, going into the marriage, I thought was doable. Since he doesn't take to reading the same way I do--and he really isn't in to writing. I was soooo wrong. He's a great Scrabble player, and at this point, we are 2-1, his lead.

So all I'm trying to say is, I married a man who has few issues to contend with. Which makes me a little jealous of his issueless life sometimes, but hey, I'm also grateful. He's not vanilla in the least--he knows what he likes and he loves to trying a bevy of new things, so we're cool.

But every once in awhile, he will send me little signals. And they are really delightful. One of the first non-verbals I noticed was the way, when I laid down across the small "snuggler" couch in the living room with my feet up, he would sit down in front of the couch, which is not really a comfortable place to sit. But he was telling me that he wanted to be near me, so I would reach out and put my hand on his shoulder, and he has repeated this small action several times.

The other day, another non-verbal cue to David's inner world came my way. I noticed, while my husband was making the bed, that he put the blanket over the comforter in our guest bedroom. And I thought this was a little strange, to be honest, because the comforter is very pretty. But the truth is, the husband often lies down in that bedroom, and what I eventually realized, is that the comforter is a bit too feminine for his tastes. So he started covering it up with a blue sort-of-plaid blanket, which made him feel so much better. It was a subtle way of adjusting his environment. But it really wasn't passive-aggressive at all. It just was. And that is the point, friends. David just is.

It's his wife who provides the drama that keeps his world spinning.

A beautiful arrangement indeed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ӏt's difficult to find educated people about this subject, but you seem like you know what you're talking about!
Thаnκs

Мy wеb-site - bucket trucks
my site :: used bucket truck

Anonymous said...

Gгeat post. I was chеcking continuously this blog and I аm impressed!
Very helpful іnfo particulаrly the
last paгt :) I caгe for suсh info а lοt.
I was looking for this cеrtain infoгmatіon for a very long time.
Thаnk you аnԁ good luck.

my web page tens machine
my site :: tens 7000

Anonymous said...

Wοw! This blоg loοks exactly likе my olԁ one!
It's on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!

Also visit my blog ... digital tens units