Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Country Chiropractor

Yesterday the husband and I traveled a good 35-40 miles to get to a good chiropractor. My neck and jaw were out of alignment, and it was making me grumpy and tired. The husband was hoping we could fix these ills and get back to our normal domestic happiness.

Enter the country chiropractor. I'll call him Dr. H. The minute we pulled up to his small office and I saw the "The Country Chiropractor" on the front of the building, I couldn't stop smiling. The chairs inside looked like real leather. And the front desk opening was all wood--it looked just like the post office teller's desk or something in Little House on the Prarie. This was going to be interesting. Before long, I found out Dr. H and his wife had been in business in this office for 45 years!

Despite their longevity, Dr. H's methods were very up-to-date. He uses an electric activator, which looks sort of like this picture, except it is electric:

I climbed on a small platform, then he lowered the table down. It appeared Dr. H's goal was to make both of my legs the same length. He kept watching the legs to see if they were aligning as he took the electric activator and zapped my neck, my lower back, my jaw, etc., etc. I say "zapped," but there was no shock, and it only hurt once on a sensitive area of my neck. He kept asking me to look left and right so he could tell if things were lining up correctly and if he was fixing my neck so I could have full range of motion.

When all was said and done, he lowered me back on to the platform and said I might be slightly dizzy. I was, but within seconds regained my balance. I was trying to assess if the treatment had worked. Within five minutes, while we were still in Dr. H's office talking with him and his Mrs., I knew that it had. I was so loose, relaxed, and in alignment, that I thanked him again.

I'm not sure, but that might have been the best chiropractic adjustment I have ever had. It certainly was gentle and effective. And loads better than the two adjustments from the "I'll beat those kinks out of ya" chiropractor I had a few months back. No spasming or inflammation this time. Just pure comfort. From a country chiropractor. Who knew?

For more information on activator techniques, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activator_technique
 
Oh, and many thanks to Dr. H and his dear wife. Hope they stay in business for years to come. I can truly say he is the best country chiropractor I have ever had occasion to know. I'm not saying he's a miracle worker, but he did fix my neck and restore domestic happiness in my home. And I'm grateful!

Cheers.

No comments: