Sunday, October 28, 2007

To the overscheduled, he says "come"

Sometimes I get too busy and I forget so quickly how much Jesus loves me, how much he desires for me to sit quietly with him. To discover the secrets of the abundant life he desperately wants to give you and me.

And, when my life gets too crowded and the word "margin" begins to refer only to settings on my Microsoft Word documents, I can get sad, anxious, and angry all at once.

Like this week, when a woman on the phone pressed me on something, and I retorted, "Well, OBVIOUSLY NOT." (Ugly.) Or the morning I woke up and felt like I wanted to cancel every appointment or obligation on my calendar for the next 6 months or so. (Seriously.) Or how about the way I so easily take on not only my own stuff, but the burdens and expectations of others, forgetting to bring all my anxieties to my heavenly Father, knowing and believing he will take care of them. (Pride masquerading as "genuine concern.")

Busted!

But even when I find myself in the ugliest of places, Jesus' invitation from Matthew 11:28-30 stares back at me, unflinchingly, from my open Bible, and I know he's inviting me back to a place of freedom and life.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened (yes, I'm drowning under the load!)

...and I will give you rest. (I like to think of it as cool water and shade after a hot, dusty hike)

Take my yoke upon you (my way of doing life) and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

(And all those words, "rest," "easy," and "light" bring peace and a smile.)

So, consider this, on the days, weeks, or months I choose busyness or productivity over sweet rest in Jesus, I am not being obedient. I am taking a load that is not mine to bear--and it shows. To my coworkers, to the man God has given me, to my girlfriends, to the friends who haven't checked into what this abundant God-life is all about. Especially to them.

And so, to the overscheduled and harried, he says "come." That is why this week I have made way for more margin, more time just to be. And that is precisely why I canceled today's Biblestudy, even though I always look forward to it. Because sometimes you have to choose the best over the very good.

Sometimes the most Jesus-like thing a girl can do is to stop and say "It's time for rest."

No comments: