Sunday, December 23, 2007

I said . . . yes, of course!



Last night, at around 7:30 pm, on the second floor of an old, beautiful hotel, as we were sitting next to a brilliantly lit Christmas tree, David asked me to be his wife! After I recovered, I said I'd be honored.

It wasn't yet Christmas, and so I was slightly surprised, especially since a sinus headache had put me in a foul mood earlier in the day. And since I was speaking and singing in Sunday School this morning, I had grand plans to be in bed by about 9 pm. Riiiiight.

David, the early bird, woke up about 6 am Saturday--by 7 am he was asking my mother if he could marry her daughter. At 7:30 am, he was scheduled to have breakfast at IHOP with a very good friend of mine named Jack. He and his wife have become like family to me over the last several years, and Jack wanted to have a little one-on-one time with David, to get to know him a bit better and make sure he truly is the one I've been waiting for! After over 2 hours at breakfast with Jack, David had clued him in on his intentions and showed him the diamond.

Then David began a long day of waiting . . .

Our date started with a wonderful tour of a local garden that featured Christmas trees around the world. Next, the first-rate Cuban/Spanish restaurant where we had our first date. We reminisced about our first evening together in June and laughed at how comfortable we'd become. For dessert, we reordered a scrumptious dish of the most heavenly dark chocolate. My headache was easing, and my mood was definitely improving...

A nice walk through downtown, then a stroll through the hotel until David found his spot.
Surreal, yes. Happy, absolutely! Thankful? I am!

For God in his perfect way, in his perfect timing, has brought two "mature" never-been-marrieds together. We pinched each other to make sure it was real. It is.

When I called mom last night, she said she'd been praying for David for 38 years. "But I'm only 35!" I insisted. "Oh, 36 years then." Turns out she was asking God to bring me a godly spouse while she was pregnant.

Thanks, mom! And thanks be to God, who gives us immeasurably more than we could ask or imagine.

2 comments:

Jerry MacDonald said...

Wow! Congratulations!

Cal said...

YEEHAW!!!!! Blessings to you both - we couldn't be happier for you!!! We're only 25 years ahead of you, so we expect you to catch up! :-D