Saturday, June 02, 2007

Living and Dying



My prayer seems awkward, but it rings true: "Father, help us to continue to breathe. Help us not to hold our breathe in these our last few months together as a family. Make us experts at showing love to our dad. Work supernaturally in this transition as dad has one foot planted here, one foot reaching out for his forever tomorrow."

And I believe in my heart that God will answer this request--it is, after all, his heart to see his children lovingly home to heaven. He is already showing up. He will show up next week when new limitations present themselves, and ultimately, he will usher our dear father home. The end for us here means a new celebration in heaven. I imagine that some of those dad knew here, some of those he made an impact on, may already be waiting in anticipation. It brings tears and a smile. As it should.

-----------------

Picture 1 is me and one-week-old baby Andrew. Isn't he amazing? He slept on my chest and when I started to sing lullabies he opened his eyes and moved his head around.

-----------------


Picture 2 is dad with his Ozzy Osbourne look, holding Cassie. The hat looks kind of like real hair; Cassie, who is only 2 1/2, loves to sit on grandpa's lap and snuggle. He says that brings him the most comfort of all.

-----------------

Picture 3 is dad and I at the IMAX to see Spiderman. Thanks to my sister Christi and my brother-in-laws for helping to make this happen!

2 comments:

Cal said...

One of our pastors reminded me that God not only prepares His saints for their home-going, but He also prepares us for their departure.

We continue to pray for you and your family, friend!

Suzie said...

Ah, friend, I really like that thought. Thanks so much for sharing it.