Sunday, March 11, 2007

Loving NYC









Sure, I know rationally that I would not survive in NY. I would tire of the noise and the pace, the crowds and the pressure. And yet, a slice of me wishes to stay here, to live in the energy, to absorb the culture, to discover how to live in such amazing diversity.

I've even got a soft spot for those with strong New York accents, sometimes pushy and forward, but also magnanimous and kind. I met a cute fireman at the Grand Central station subway stop, I dined with a local who was originally from the Phillippines, and I even argued with the very New York hotel manager. (He gave me the rate quoted with a funny "I'm not wrong" but I want your experience with Hampton to be satisfactory.)

The top 5 things I've learned about NY:
1. Many New Yorkers are not good at giving directions! Don't assume they know where to point you. New York street workers got me lost!!
2. Ignore men of any nationality who walk by you on the street and say "hey, babe." They're generally harmless, but you don't want to encourage them. :)
3. Invest in a good bag that has an adjustable strap and wear it diagonally. You'll feel that your possessions are safe even when you get lost in the crowd.
4. Don't feel like you need to do it all. You can't! Pick the top things on your list and enjoy them to the fullest. But make sure you experience some night life. That's when the city comes alive.
5. Open yourself up to meeting and interacting with a variety of people-at restaurants, subway stops, parks, etc. and your trip will be enriched by their cultures and viewpoints. And be sure to schedule time for people-watching!

I'm bone-tired and headed to bed on this Sunday night. On to Denver in the a.m., bright and early.

Picture descriptions: looking at the Brooklyn bridge from the Manhattan Seaport, classmate Dante (charming!), Suzie and her new friend Jenny (Jenny graciously gave me a NY walking tour), dancers and drums at the Times Square subway station, Times Square on a Saturday night

1 comment:

mark said...

Glad you are having fun in NY! Hope the weather is as nice as it is here. I will have to take your advice when Colleen and I go there next year some time. God Bless!